Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 2006 15:35:25 -0700
From:      Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>
To:        Ceri Davies <ceri@submonkey.net>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [HEADS UP] upcoming /etc/services updating

Ceri Davies wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 03:20:00PM -0700, Colin Percival wrote:
>> Now that searching through a large /etc/services file is no longer a
>> performance bottleneck, I intend to merge most of IANA's port assignment
>> list into our /etc/services some time in mid-May.
>>
>> If anyone objects to this, please let me know now.
>
> Would it be wise to wait until cached is enabled by default?

My (perhaps mistaken) impression was that cached was going to be
enabled by default soon in HEAD, and at very least long before
7.0-RELEASE.  I wasn't planning on MFCing the /etc/services update
until cached was enabled by default in RELENG_6.

If there's a significant reason why people running HEAD would not
want to turn cached on, I'll certainly reconsider my plans here.

Colin Percival