Date:      Wed, 30 May 2012 11:29:16 -0500
From:      "Edwin L. Culp W." <edwinlculp@gmail.com>
To:        Christoph Moench-Tegeder <cmt@burggraben.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Seems like Chrome is having an issue with clang.

2012/5/30 Christoph Moench-Tegeder <cmt@burggraben.net>

> ## Edwin L. Culp W. (edwinlculp@gmail.com):
>
> > Seems like Chrome is having an issue with clang.  It starts with the
> > following errors:
> >
> >   CC(target)
> >
> out/Release/obj.target/skia_libtess/third_party/skia/third_party/glu/libtess/tess.o
> > In file included from
> > third_party/skia/src/opts/SkBitmapProcState_opts_SSSE3.cpp:8:
> > /usr/include/clang/3.1/tmmintrin.h:28:2: error: "SSSE3 instruction set
> not
> > enabled"
> > #error "SSSE3 instruction set not enabled"
>

> SSSE3 is enabled by setting the right CPUTYPE (e.g. in make.conf, see
> make.conf(5) and related documentation). THe default is "safe for all
> supported machines", so SSSE3 and some other extensions are not used
> by default.

Interesting and more than I understand.  For example:

man make.conf  I find:

      CPUTYPE       (str) Controls which processor should be targeted for
gen-
                   erated code.  This controls processor-specific optimiza-
                   tions in certain code (currently only OpenSSL) as well as
                   modifying the value of CFLAGS and COPTFLAGS to contain
the
                   appropriate optimization directive to gcc(1).  The auto-
                   matic setting of CFLAGS and COPTFLAGS may be overridden
                   using the NO_CPU_CFLAGS and NO_CPU_COPTFLAGS variables,
                   respectively.  Refer to /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf
                   for a list of recognized CPUTYPE options.

in   /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf I find:

# The CPUTYPE variable controls which processor should be targeted for
# generated code.  This controls processor-specific optimizations in
# certain code (currently only OpenSSL) as well as modifying the value
# of CFLAGS to contain the appropriate optimization directive to gcc.
# The automatic setting of CFLAGS may be overridden using the
# NO_CPU_CFLAGS variable below.
# Currently the following CPU types are recognized:
#   Intel x86 architecture:
#       (AMD CPUs)      opteron-sse3 opteron athlon64-sse3 athlon64
athlon-mp
#                       athlon-xp athlon-4 athlon-tbird athlon k8-sse3 k8
#                       geode k6-3 k6-2 k6 k5
#       (Intel CPUs)    core2 core nocona pentium4m pentium4 prescott
#                       pentium3m pentium3 pentium-m pentium2
#                       pentiumpro pentium-mmx pentium i486 i386
#       (Via CPUs)      c3 c3-2
#   AMD64 architecture: opteron, athlon64, nocona, prescott, core2
#   Intel ia64 architecture: itanium2, itanium
#   SPARC-V9 architecture:      v9 (generic 64-bit V9), ultrasparc (default
#                               if omitted), ultrasparc3

So I check my dmesg says:

FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE #160 r229960M: Sat May 26 05:08:37 CDT 2012
    root@home.encontacto.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ENCONTACTO amd64
CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1100T Processor (3292.90-MHz K8-class CPU)
  Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x100fa0  Family = 10  Model = a  Stepping
= 0

Features=0x178bfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,HTT>
  Features2=0x802009<SSE3,MON,CX16,POPCNT>
  AMD
Features=0xee500800<SYSCALL,NX,MMX+,FFXSR,Page1GB,RDTSCP,LM,3DNow!+,3DNow!>
  AMD
Features2=0x37ff<LAHF,CMP,SVM,ExtAPIC,CR8,ABM,SSE4A,MAS,Prefetch,OSVW,IBS,SKINIT,WDT>
  TSC: P-state invariant, performance statistics

I'm sure one of the options in make.conf would probably work but I think
forgetting about Chrome is much easier and EMO not a big deal.  I seldom us
it.

Thanks for the help.  Sorry for the noise and for not being able to
translate between make.conf, and dmesg. Have a great day.

ed