Date:      Sat, 1 Dec 2001 22:49:58 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Neil Hoggarth <njh@kernighan.demon.co.uk>
To:        <hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Logitech Desktop iTouch Keyboard/Mouse

Hi Folks,

I have Sony Vaio PCG-N505SN laptop, running FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE.

I'm trying to attach to this a Logitech "Cordless Desktop iTouch" package,
which consists of:

(a) cordless mouse (model M-RP67)
(b) cordless keyboard (model Y-RF21 RT7R03 V:5XTTWUK)
(c) a receiver for (a) and (b) (model C-BD9-DUAL)

The receiver either plugs into a single USB port, or two PS/2 ports. I'm
trying to use it with the single USB connection (no PS/2 ports on the
Sony).

The keyboard works as a USB keyboard. I can run "kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd1"
and drive the console via the cordless keyboard. The mouse is detected;
usbd is running and launches a plausable looking moused process at boot
time, or following a device attach. However - moving the cordless mouse
about or pressing its buttons doesn't seem to produce any activity on
/dev/ums0. There is no sign of mouse pointer activity on virtual terminals
or under X (which is configured to use /dev/sysmouse to pick up the output
of moused). I tried running "moused -d -f -p /dev/ums0". I get

moused: proto params: f8 80 00 00 8 00 ff
moused: port: /dev/ums0  interface: usb  type: sysmouse  model: generic

and no further activity, regardless of how energetically I move the mouse
around the desktop or play with buttons and wheels.

Communications between the cordless mouse and the receiver are okay (I
tested the receiver/mouse combination as a PS/2 mouse on an old desktop
machine to confirm this).

Relevant output from dmesg:

uhci0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> port 0xfca0-0xfcbf irq 9 at device 7.2 on pci0
usb0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> on uhci0
usb0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
ukbd0: Logitech USB Receiver, rev 1.10/13.10, addr 2, iclass 3/1
ums0: Logitech USB Receiver, rev 1.10/13.10, addr 2, iclass 3/1
ums0: 5 buttons and Z dir.

Output from "usbdevs -v":

Controller /dev/usb0:
addr 1: self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000), Intel(0x0000), rev 0x0100
 port 1 addr 2: low speed, power 50 mA, config 1, USB Receiver(0xc504), Logitech(0x046d), rev 0x1310
 port 2 powered

Does anyone have any ideas why this might not be working, or any possible
fixes?

One idea that did occur to me is that the kernel might have problems
correctly handling a single USB device (the receiver) which acts both as a
USB keyboard and as a USB mouse simultaneously, such that no data ever
gets delivered via /dev/ums0?

Regards,

Neil Hoggarth,
Oxford, UK.