Date:      Sat, 25 Aug 2012 02:12:01 -0700
From:      Xin Li <delphij@delphij.net>
To:        brouci tykadylko <brouci.tykadylko@seznam.cz>
Cc:        d@delphij.net, freebsd-geom@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: geli remote password entering

On 8/25/12 1:21 AM, brouci tykadylko wrote:
> Useful idea, but in this stage it's quite to late for real
> paranoic. If you consider logfiles as sensitive data.

There are some problems with my approach but I'm not particularly
concerned with logfiles.  This really depending on how you store /var.
 It is still possible to mount it after geli initialization and no,
there is no such thing 'logfile' since syslogd is not started at that
point.

Moreover I'd say if you really worry about logfile, it should not be
stored locally but to a dedicated remote log server which have its
logon interface locked down inside a VLAN, and the system should have
only append access to that server and nothing else.

> Linux obviously CAN do that. It has some early_ssh, bropbeard ssh
> daemon loaded from initramdisk for purpose of entering password
> for LUKS.

Well, this *is* early_ssh -- similar idea but without a duplicated
copy of sshd, etc. where you have two daemons and two files to worry
about.

Of course, the current version does not do logs but it's possible to
do it locally or remotely with very simple tweaks by starting syslogd
with a alternative boot-only configuration profile.

It would be interesting to implement initrd alike feature in FreeBSD,
however, but it's not totally impossible to do similar thing "right
now"-ish by using a mdroot while having it chroot into the new / with
devfs and friends mounted, it's like a kluge but still do-able.

> Still didn't find any satisfactory solution for FreeBSD.
>

>> ------------ Pôvodná správa ------------ Od: Xin Li
>> <delphij@delphij.net> Predmet: Re: geli remote password entering
>>  Dátum: 24.8.2012 20:44:56
>
> I have posted something with similar idea here:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-security/2012-August/006547.html

But this is different -- you can't have only /boot unencrypted