Date:      Mon, 26 May 2014 21:03:46 -0400
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        by <free7by@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to get familiar with a system

On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 11:24:08AM +0800, by via freebsd-hackers wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I really want to get familiar with an operating system, and i am using
> FreeBSD 10 RELEASE on an i386 machine now, but the problem is how to
> start, or i would say, what methods can be used to uncover the secret of
> an operating system?
>
> Cause i have install the source code on my machine, i have tried to hack
> the basic utilities one by one, like echo, ls, cat, etc. But i find i
> work too slow, and i can not find the exciting experience i have got
> before for resolving a problem. I know people can not dive into every
> detail, just one deeply dig is okay. But i find i have no motion now,
> may be i need a project : )

Maybe I ahve missed some earlier post[s] on this.
You say you installed the 'source code' of FreeBSD on a machine.

Did you install a running system on a machine and boot it up, etc?
I would think that would be the first thing to do.  Then start doing
things.

Read about 4.3 BSD.  There is a good book by that name available.
Then try and make some sort of block or flow diagram for it.  Then
learn the kernel, especially the scheduler and interrupt handler.
If you get that under your hat, you will be ready to work on almost
everything.

Good luck, Have fun,

////jerry