Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 09:04:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      patl@phoenix.volant.org
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Seagate ST15230 wedging

Do any of you have any experience with Seagate ST15230 drives?
I have one that occasionally wedges when backing up to tape.  The
wedge spews:

	sd1(ncr1:1:0): Vendor Specific asc:80,0 Vendor Specific ASC
	field replaceable unit: 1

I've no idea what that message means, except that I can't access the
disk and have to power-cycle to reset it.  (Well, actually, it might
reset with a simple reboot.  But I figure I may as well power-cycle
just to be sure.)

It's on a system that, for various reasons, is still running FreeBSD
2.2.2, and will be for a little while yet unless I find some urgent
reason to upgrade.  (Such as someone assuring me that later drivers
for the NCR 53c585 fix it.)

Thanks,
-Pat