Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2001 09:38:11 -0500
From:      Jim Durham <jimd@nepinc.com>
To:        Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>, "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@rambo.simx.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail + auth + ssl + freebsd

Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg wrote:
> > http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/auth.html
>
> I found that too, and I'm sure I could build it from scratch and
> make it work.  My desire here is to make it work with the sendmail
> shipped with the base FreeBSD (if possible) for a number of reasons
> though.  As I said before, it seems to have the SSL stuff in it,
> although I can't figure out how to activate it.  I'm unsure about
> auth.
>
> Wanting to use something from the base distribution is also why I
> am uninterested in postfix, at this time.  If I can't do it I might
> go to postfix.

You have to compile sasl support into the sendmail binary to do auth.
I have done this two ways, one following the instructions at
sendmail.org and another time, I found on google an example of how to
do it by modifying the sendmail sources in /usr/src. However, this
becomes a problem if you cvsup.

Also, you have to maintain an sasl password database in addition to
the system one.

-Jim