Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 2020 20:03:32 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        Dennis Clarke <dclarke@blastwave.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Old PowerMac G5 2-socket/2-cores-each: head -r368820 kernel reports: bus_dmamem_alloc failed to align memory properly

On 2020-Dec-21, at 19:02, Dennis Clarke via freebsd-ppc <freebsd-ppc at =
freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 12/21/20 9:58 PM, Dennis Clarke via freebsd-ppc wrote:
>> On 12/21/20 9:27 PM, Mark Millard via freebsd-ppc wrote:
>>> I'm upgrading from head -r365932 to -r368820 and on the first
>>> boot -s with the new (non-debug) kernel I saw that bus_dmamem_alloc
>>> was reporting based on:
>>>=20
>>=20
>> Do you know if there is a workable installer image for anything =
recent?
>> My powermac quad has been dead for a month and I just want to do a
>> fresh re-install with ZFS and all the CURRENT goodness.
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>=20
> Sorry that was a dumb question.
>=20
> I see :
>=20
> =
https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/snapshots/powerpc/powerpc64/ISO-IMAGES/13=
.0/
>=20
> I will give that a try.

Not a dumb question. PowerMacs have been problematical for as long as
I've been trying FreeBSD on them (FreeBSD 10+ basically). That includes
examples of of install time problems.

I'm not aware of any unpatched, modern FreeBSD that well-operates any =
old
PowerMac that I have access to (64 bit or 32 bit). But I've not done a
from-scratch install (via a installer image) in years so I do not know =
what
the issues are with that stage these days. My understanding is folks
have been disabling SMP support so only 1 thread run in order to avoid =
some
of the problems for multi-socket/multi-core PowerMacs. (Time can be too =
far
part for sleep to always work well. A result is the fans going wild from
sleeps not terminating in the right time frame.)

Other notes:

As far as I know, 32-bit powerpc for old PowerMacs still has the kernel
gradually zeroing out user-space pages, even for =
single-socket/single-core
32-bit PowerMacs. So I run 32-bit via a chroot on a 64-bit system: the
64-bit kernel does not have this specific problem. (I seem to remember
that there was a different boot failure last I tried 32-bit, but I do =
not
remember any detail at this time.)

There are other kernel problems as well (64-bit and 32-bit), but I'll =
not
get into them here.

The best of the old PowerMac's that I've had access to finally ended up
with overheating from the cooling system not working correctly any more.
The previously next-best does not have all the memory slots working. =
That
is the last 2-socket/2-cores-each G5 that I have access to. So one of
these day's I'll be joining others that no longer have access to such.
With the degree of my time preferences, I'm not sure if I'd use the old
PowerMacs without the faster one to do builds on. (I tend to cross
build the systems, only self-hosting on rare occasion. But ports
I build on the Fastest PowerMac that I have access to.)

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com
( dsl-only.net went