Date:      Tue, 15 Sep 1998 20:06:18 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        dg@root.com, tlambert@primenet.com, joelh@gnu.org, tom@uniserve.com, gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG, irc@cooltime.simplenet.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Download of FreeBSD 3.0-SNAP

> I don't think anyone would disagree with this; my point was simply that
> disks are effectively nondeterministic, so by definition you can't have
> an "optimal" solution.

Bull.  Hardware and software are no more non-deterministic than
neutron numbers or when sunrise will occur.

> I've seen assorted drive literature describing different caching
> policies on modern drives, and I think it's probably in our interest
> not to try too hard to outsmart the disk these days, as it's busy
> trying to outsmart us.

This isn't a very valid argument.  If it wre, we should agressively
discard cached pages in main memory, on the theory that the disk
controller knows better than we do what pages we will need next.

There is such a thing as locality of reference, which has nothing
to do with locality of disk blocks within a contiguous set of
blocks.

This is the primary reason why the correct thing to do about the
ports tree is a breadth-first restore from a depth-first archive.

> If you really wanted to play games with the queue sorter, you might
> want to go for a minimal distance insertion policy rather than a strict
> ladder sort.  As Kirk pointed out, there's plenty of room for
> experimentation in this field. 8)

Actually, much of this has already been covered in the literature
in the 17 years between 1981 and now...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---