Date:      Thu, 01 Jul 1999 12:05:55 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        Steve Ames <steve@cioe.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lizard...

> through so-called "spiffy" installs is growing exponentially. Keeping a
> simple interface rather than trying to play human engineering with no
> real human interfaces lab and a 500K$ testing budget might be better.
> Just my 2 cents... I'll shut up now... (I mean, why should *I* beef so
> much? I'm not writing or maintaining sysinst...)

OK, I'll add a few comments to this.

I've looked at the screen shots to lizard and have to say that for a
certain type of user, it looks pretty approachable.  That type of user
is specifically the Windows user, someone who'll have certain
assumptions about how dialogs look, what kinds of questions they're
asked and so on.  It's clear from looking at the screenshots that
Lizard tries to be extremely Windows-like and that's probably going to
make a reasonable number of people happy; if it's what they're used
to, there's really no arguing the point.

However, we're also not going for the desktop market quite as
aggressively head-on as Caldera is and we have an ISP installed base
which would also get very persnickety if our installer started
shedding usability in the generic cases in favor of a flashy,
focused-on-the-desktop installation.  What I mean specifically by that
is that we still need to be able to install over a serial line with no
keyboard or VGA card plugged into the machine, we still need to
support scripted installs (even better than we currently support them)
and we need to add support for a number of other features like
master/slave installations (one master, n clones), adequate OS and
component upgrades, high-level repair/recovery, etc.  All the sorts of
things that network server users seem to expect and a really whiz-bang
graphical install can get in the way of if you aren't extremely
careful not to code toward that single goal and have a very flexible
approach to the UI.

Of course, things can also go too much the other way and sysinstall is
a good example of an installer which is significantly constrained just
by its UI.  The hateful libdialog library has a maximum number of 2
buttons on its standard proceed/cancel dialogs, for example, and
there's no easy way to add a "Back" to many of the installation
dialogs which could really benefit from one.  There are also no tab
boxes or panners or any other UI elements for putting more than one
screen-full's worth of data up in a useful fashion, that is to say
which is easily selectable by the user and with an event model that
supports arbitrary call-outs.

For the last 3 years or so at least, I've also been stuck in the
unenviable position of knowing everything that needs to be done to fix
the installer and underlying package tools (e.g. rewrite them from
scratch) but having a progressively decreasing amount of time to even
think about doing it.  About a year ago, I even got a paid contractor
working on doing some code and he managed to generate some very
promising looking stuff, then my time even for interacting with him
became so spotty that he finally got annoyed with me and downed tools
on the project until he could get some real and effective feedback
from us.

My bad, as the current generation says, and it's a major item on my
TODO list to spend about 2 days pouring through his code and
generating a comprehensive set of comments about where to go from
there.  Unfortunately, this code is also in the very early stages and
represents about 34,000 lines of uncommented C++ and TCL code which
requires egcs, turbovision 0.7 and (optionally) Qt 1.42 to build so
the learning/testing curve is a bit steep.  Every person I've handed a
copy to so far has never reported back with anything to pass on to the
contractor in question.. :)

So anyway, that's why (in a nutshell) that sysinstall and pkg_install
continue to get patched and ammended even though we all know how
limited and hacked-together they are as tools. :)

- Jordan