Date:      Sun, 3 Jan 1999 16:55:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Implementing a DEVFS daemon

> Consider having a daemon that saves the state of a particular /devfs
> tree.  This daemon will wake up every now and again and read the
> /devfs tree.  When it notices changes, it will record them in its
> database.  This database will be in text format for easy editing.

  The timing issues seem to be ugly to me.  It would be nice if shutdown
  forced this daemon to roam over the /devfs tree.  It almost sounds like
  we need upcalls from the kernel to the daemon -- at which point I
  wonder why the daemon is not in the kernel.  I still have to read
  99% of the kernel, so if this is wacky tell me and I'll shut up.

jmb

[Personally, I think this sounds like the perfect excuse for
implementing file notification in FreeBSD.  Somebody at McKusicks
course was working on that - if that person is reading this, please
speak up! -EE]