Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 2004 11:43:19 -0800
From:      Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
To:        kamalp@acm.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fixing Posix semaphores

On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 10:11 -0800, Kamal R. Prasad wrote:
> --- Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us> wrote:
> > >  BTW -how would
> > > you deal with a diskless workstation running
> > Freebsd?
> >
> > Why does this matter?  If the system uses NFS, then
> > all bets are off.
> > If the system contains a FreeBSD file system, thenit
> > works.  What other
> > choice could there ever be?
> >
> something like boot from flash/eeprom. I don't know
> about freebsd as an instance -but many networking
> devices do use netbsd that way. For the most part, you
> wouldn't want to create a file on such a system.

Read-only versus other options have absolutely no bearing on this
problem.  Unnamed posix semaphores work just fine in this case.  I have
built lots of FreeBSD systems on flash with no problems.  This "fantasy"
of a problem has no bearing on the issue I want to discuss.

I would argue that I am probably the only person in the entire universe
who cares about named posix semaphores.  Everyone else seems to just
want to deal with unnamed seamphores and let it go at that.  Therefore,
I declare that named semaphores are my personal problem and when I
achieve the solution I want, I will make it available and then you can
decide if it matters to anyone else in the world.

/Joe