Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 2002 09:57:56 -0400
From:      Moti Levy <moti@flncs.com>
To:        Brossin Pierrick <pbrossin@wxp.homeip.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Server and Gateway

On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 02:54:18PM +0200, Brossin Pierrick wrote:
I'll try ...
> I saw:
>
> - gateway_enable="YES"
will turn on ip_forwarding between your interfaces ( you need this to make the box a "router" )
> - natd_enable="YES"
will turn on the natd , which is a daemon that does not , if you want that you need to configure it .
> - ppp_nat=YES
this will add the -nat switch to pppd and will turn on its nat feature.

so if you only want simple nat  ( and you're using ppp for example dsl )
you need:
gateway_enable="YES"
ppp_nat=YES

if you dont use ppp ( for example cable modem and dhcp ) you'll probably need
gateway_enable="YES"
natd_enable="YES"

you can also use natd for ppp connections and disable ppp_nat , this might be the case if you
want to have port forwarding and such.
hope this clears things up  a bit .
Moti