Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 1997 19:26:27 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        bartling@cyrix.com (Steve Bartling)
Cc:        gibbs@plutotech.com, bartling@cyrix.com, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, dietz@cyrix.com, gregg@cyrix.com
Subject:   Re: Freebsd2.2.2, adaptec 1742A and Ultra SCSI drive

As Steve Bartling wrote...

> > >I replaced a defective Micropolis 2217 1.7 Gig Fast SCSI-2
> > >drive with a new ultra scsi Micropolis 4743NS.
> >
> > You may want to try playing around with mode page two on
> > the drive.  I remeber that the Atlas I wouldn't work on the 1742A
> > unless you slowed it down a little bit.  It seems that if you
> > cut your bus signal times close to the minimum the spec allows,
> > the 1742 becomes confused.  There is probably a FAQ entry

174x are somewhat notorious for being sensitive to fast glitches etc
on the SCSI bus. For one thing it is really advisable to use the
internal OR the external bus connector but not both.

We had some fun with this in the original AlphaPC (the Jensen aka
DEC 2000/300)

I never had this particular problem myself on an Intel box with the
174x but I have to admit your disk is much newer/faster than the
old stuff I use on the 174x based test box here.

Wilko