Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 1995 09:35:46 +0100 (BST)
From:      Mark Dawson <md@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
To:        Brian Litzinger <brian@mediacity.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pci bus ethernet cards

> How does one tell if they are losing packets?  I've been transmitting
> MPEG System Streams (live video) via SMC 9332 in 100BaseTx mode and
> haven't noticed any problems.

If SMC are right and the problem is the motherboard and not the card
your PCI bus might well be fast enough.  I'm sure you'd have noticed the
problem by now because it makes my ethernet unusable!   I'm talking to
Sun SS-20s via a networth micro 100 repeater.  netstat on the Suns
reports input errors on the 100bTx card.

Mark

p.s. What class of PC are you using and what kind of data-rate are you
getting with 100bTx mode?