Date:      Sat, 12 Sep 1998 12:30:01 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        pusateri@juniper.net, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NogaTech PCMCIA video cards

> FWIW, a PCMCIA camera has *TONS* more bandwidth and *TONS* less

good to hear that. but just for curiosity, how much more bw ? I guess
the ISA bus tops at some 4Mbyte/s, a 33 MHz, 32-bit PCI bus can do 133
Mbytes/s during burst transfers, and 320x240x30fps YUV16 video should
be around 5MB/s.

> We used a parallel port camera for awhile, but the performance and load
> on the system became so bad that we were forced to switch to a PCMCIA
> camera, which works much nicer.  (Note, this is under Win95, but the
> hardware issues are the same as in FreeBSD.)

well for the paraller port thing, a poor driver can make a lot of
difference. I rememver using a quickcam with vic under FreeBSD,
and the system was still usable on a 486/66 with the user space
driver whereas a P5-133 was doing terribly using a kernel space
driver (essentially the reason was, the kernel driver was/is not
preemptable, so even mouse/keyboard interrupts had to wait!)

	cheers
	luigi