Date:      Sat, 2 Aug 2008 09:35:33 +0300
From:      Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        fbsd2@yahoo.com, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 80 Mb / enough for 7.x? OK to delete /stand/ and /modules/ ?

--ensexbfp9Ul6anXl

On Sat, Aug 02, 2008 at 12:20:39AM -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <372128.56919.qm@web51502.mail.re2.yahoo.com>
>             fbsd2 <fbsd2@yahoo.com> writes:
> : Greetings list,
> :=20
> :    Given recent EOL announcements, I'm trying to upgrade an ancient mac=
hine from 5.5 to 7. It has 80 Mb total in the root partition, /home/, /var/=
, /usr/, and /tmp/ on other partitions, and NFS mounts /usr/src, /usr/obj, =
and /usr/ports from a slightly newer/faster box.  I've seen
> :=20
> : http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.0R/relnotes.html   and
> : http://marc.info/?l=3Dfreebsd-stable&m=3D121278826119286&w=3D2
> :=20
> : which seem to suggest that even with INSTALL_NODEBUG during buildkernel=
, 7 might not fit in an 80 Mb /.  Must I partition a new disk to give more =
space to /, or can I find more space by deleting /stand/, /modules/, and po=
ssibly /rescue/ to shoehorn a custom 7.x kernel in the available space?  TIA
>=20
> Doesn't look like anybody has answered this question...
>=20
> 80MB is plenty, even for 7.x.  However, you'll have to use nanobsd or
> tinybsd to get that small.  You'll likely been unable to do a 'make
> installworld' to get this size.  You'll have to create an image and
> push it over to this machine somehow.
>=20
> In the 3.x time frame, I had FreeBSD booting with the standard scripts
> in 13MB without compression.  4.x, 5.x and 6.x bloated these binaries
> to about 18MB (a few more were added).  I haven't built a system based
> on 7.x with this system due to a change in employment, but expect that
> it wouldn't be much larger than 20MB for these same files.  Some
> careful honing could reduce that a little, but maybe not a lot.
> Typical embedded systems that I shipped were on the order of 24MB
> without X11 and 32-60MB for those with an X11 server.
>=20
> What's this box used for?

Actually, on the normal RELENG_7/i386 install (i.e. done by
buildworld/installworld), I get

Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used     Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad0s1a    257998    50422    186938    21%    /
/dev/ad0s1e   4129310   143676   3655290     4%    /usr

Note that you must supply INSTALL_NODEBUG=3Dyes for installkernel, and
the numbers shown are for WITHOUT_PROFILE=3Dyes.

Amd64 takes ~230Mb for merged / and /usr, this is both due to increased
binary sizes and lib32.

--ensexbfp9Ul6anXl

--ensexbfp9Ul6anXl--