Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 1999 00:00:34 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DVDs [and MPEG decoder hardware]

> before i drive yet another nail into my own coffin ..

Hmmmm.  That posting was frankly bizarre and for the most part
incoherent, nor do I see why it needed to be cross-posted to both
-questions and -chat, so I've gone to -chat only on the follow-up.

I think you have a rather bizarre idea of how people in this country
view the handicapped, to say the least, not to mention a set of values
so plainly skewed as to think that any semi-coherent screed is going
to "improve" your perceived situation in any way at all.  Quite the
opposite, I'd say, and aside from perhaps being deliberately
self-destructive for reasons known best to yourself, I can divine no
constructive purpose whatsoever in what I just read.

As to what is developed or who develops it in FreeBSD, that's entirely
up to motivated self-interest and always has been.  That's called
"part of life" and its global constraints like this that you and I
just have to live with, no matter how many limbs we were born with or
without.  You also don't get people interested in something by
screaming in their ear, at least not in any family I've ever spent
significant time with, you get it by somehow appealing to their self
interest.

This means that if it's some driver you want written, you find someone
who has both the desire and the ability to write it and you do
whatever you can to facilitate their progress - if that someone is
yourself then all the better.  If you don't know such a person then,
by golly, you go out and you find one - maybe there's someone in a
research center attached to the local hospital in search of a grant
project, for example, or another group of developers working on aids
for the handicapped who can be found with a web search.

Any truly motivated person WILL FIND A WAY and get on with it whereas
someone who's just indulging in a little public self-pity will simply
whine about it like you just did.  I worked with the blind and various
other physically handicapped folks during my programming time at the
Smith-Kettlewell institute of visual research, where we worked on
various sight and communications aids, and I saw people overcome all
manner of adversity with a degree of cheerfulness that would put half
of this lists' Mother Theresa clones to shame.  They never felt that
anyone "owed" them an easier time of it, or that volunteer labor which
made their lives easier in some way was anything but the purest of
blessings, and helping such folks out was ALWAYS a pleasure.  It made
me feel good to work with them, and so I did.  There's that
enlightened self-interest again, you see how that works?

- Jordan