Date:      Sat, 12 Jun 1999 19:50:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bill Huey <billh@mag.ucsd.edu>
To:        dyson@iquest.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: High syscall overhead?

> Wes Peters said:
> >
> > Try a more meaningful benchmark, one that actually does something in
> > the kernel before returning, and see how they do.  Try calling kill
> > or socket/close a few hundred thousand times and see how they do.

This will only test how fast the kernel memory allocator will perform
with small object. Linux will do well since the memory allocation stuff
is pretty standard issue for kernel memory allocators.

> Think of it like this:  since alot of desktops sit in idle loops much
> of the time, perhaps the Linux philosophy has been to improve such
> behavior :-).

The Linux philosophy already has better performance and will also get
you much stronger TCP/IP user land copy performance under SMP since
it releases locks around the data copy.

This certain is much better that the over simplistic single MP in
FreeBSD, which has since been abandon in the Linux kernel.

But I guess technical denial works in the FreeBSD community.  ;-)

More smilie faces ;-) ;-) ;-)

> John                  | Never try to teach a pig to sing,
> dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid
> jdyson@nc.com         | and it irritates the pig.

bill