Date:      Fri, 10 Feb 2006 09:42:18 -0500
From:      Gregory T Pelle <gregp@domainit.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Outbound mail filtering

Jon Simola wrote:

>On 2/9/06, Gregory T Pelle <gregp@domainit.com> wrote:
>

>>What is the recommended setup for outbound spam filtering?
>>

>On your router, forward all port 25 connections to your filtering
>server except those from your filtering server, as well as other
>standard firewalling for a webserver. I'd also use some sort of
>throttling to cut off any machines that exceed an amount that you set
>per machine (big paying customer website vs $2/month cheap user).
>
>I'd recommend qmail on the filtering machine (my preference, I've not
>used anything else). I've used qmail-scanner before for spamassassin
>and virus scanning, simscan is supposed to be just as good and maybe a
>bit faster. Also check out the spamcontrol patch.

After your setup has determined that the mail is spam, what do you use
to quarentine it?  In my testbed, I have a setup using sendmail, clamav,
and spamassassin that classifies the mail, but does not perform the
quarentine function.  The tools that I have found to quarentine email
expect that the mail is going to be delivered to your users (which in
this instance is not always the case).

>>I know I am not going to catch 100% of all spam, but I would like to
>>catch most.
>>
>>I also plan on setting up firewall rules on the servers to block all
>>outbound smtp traffic unless it is going to my filtering server.
>>

>I would do that on a router in front of the web servers, as comprimise
>of a webserver would most likely lead to the attacker disabling the
>firewall to send spam. Seperate tasks, web servers should serve web
>pages, routers and firewalls should be seperate from the servers
>they're protecting.

I would agree that a router would be more secure, but I am limited to
what hardware I have on hand.