Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2000 22:02:10 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: randomdev entropy gathering is really weak

> :Sure; we neet to be appropriately paranoid about that, but let's not
> :get ridiculous. The seed file could certainly use some decent protection,
> :but unfortunately, PC architectures don't come with SIMcards or the like.
> :
>
> Is it possible to combine the state of the disk based seed with some other
> source of real entropy?  That would redudce the risk of having someone  read
> your disks while the system is shutdown.

I'm working on haresting some more entropy; that should do what you want.
(Things like disk activity, network stack, process tables and so on).

If you are worried about someone reading the disk of a rebooting box,
then you need to be worried about console access; if your attacker has
console, you are screwed anyway.

Mark Murray