Date:      Mon, 20 Dec 1999 17:52:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Harshbarger <mharsh@fsr.net>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   3.4-release install problem

I've been anxious to install the new 3.4-RELEASE via floppy and have been
running into a problem. I've made multiple sets of floppies to rule out
bad media as the problem. At the same repeatable point, the installer
says:

 "A signal 11 was caught - I'm saving what I can and shutting [sic]
  If you can reproduce the problem, please turn Debug on in
  the Options menu for the extra information it provides in
  debugging problems like this."

The last two debug lines are:

 "DEBUG: Command `/stand/gunzip < /stand/help/distributions.hlp.gz > /tmp/.doc/doc.tmp' returns status of 0
  DEBUG: Signal 11 caught! That's bad!"

What steps am I taking on the install?

1) boot from the two floppies
2) skip the user/device config (I've also deleted unused devices and this
changes nothing)
3) select "custom" from the main menu
4) go through the "Options," "Partition," and "Label" menus without a
hitch. (I usually turn Debugging on and change the Media Timeout to "30"
in the Options menu)
5) select "Distributions" from the "Choose Custom Installation Options"
menu
6) select "Custom" from the "Choose Distributions" menu
7) and boom. sig 11.

As a side note, the screen displayed behind the "A signal 11 was caught"
pop-up notice says:

 "<X] X Exit	Exit this menu (returning to previous)"

This line ends up in the upper third of the screen and is badly color
formatted... my gut feeling tells me that the installer cannot read or
display the next menu. I'm going to take the install floppies home with me
tonight and try 'em out on wildly different hardware to see if that makes
a difference. If I can help out the debugging process by providing machine
specific details or be more verbose on the steps I listed above, please
don't hesitate to email me.
                                                               .-.
 Mike Harshbarger, Sys/Net Admin     .-.       /   \         /     \
First Step Internet (www.fsr.net) --/---\-----/-----\-------/-------\-
 1.208.882.8869 / 1.888.676.6377  `'     \   /       \     /         \
                                                       `-'