Date:      Fri, 05 Mar 1999 19:21:01 +0800
From:      Jarvis Cochrane <jarvis@guru.wow.aust.com>
To:        lbruno@cmp.com
Cc:        "freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Technical questions about BSD

Lee,

An answer to another of your questions...

> > First, I am
> > curious to know how many thousands of lines of code make up the BSD kernel?

I counted lines of code by running the following commands in the /usr/src/sys
directory - the source code for the FreeBSD kernel (Version 2.2.8, BTW).

wc -l `find ./ -name "*.c" -print`

gives 525,527 lines of 'c' code, including comments

wc -l `find ./ -name "*.h" -print`

gives 108,923 lines of C header files, including comments.

wc -l `find ./ -name "*.s" -print`

gives 8,562 lines of assembly language files, including comments.

So the kernel sources for FreeBSD 2.2.8 total some 644,012 lines of code and
comments.

Adding to that, the kernel code _may_ (I haven't checked this) compile some
standard C library functions into the code, which would increase the number of
lines of code in the kernel.

However, I think it would be very rare for a production kernel to be configured to
contain all of the available device drivers and options available, using less code
and making the resulting kernel smaller.

For example, the 2.2.8 'GENERIC' kernel is 1,601,351 bytes on my system. My custom
configured kernel is only 984,922 bytes - 61% of the size.

This is probably _way_ more detail than you needed!

Lets just call it 650 thousand lines of code!

Jarvis