Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2007 15:50:33 -0300
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Sd=E4vtaker?= <sdavtaker@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Current Gentoo user

Chad Perrin escribi=F3:
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 08:52:18AM +0000, Paul Waring wrote:
>> Gentoo isn't really an operating system, it's a Linux distribution - t=
he
>> only way in which it differs from other distributions (say Debian) is =
in
>> its package management.
>=20
> I've been running into the notion that Linux distributions aren't
> operating systems lately -- two or three times now.  I find this
> immensely confusing.  The way things are going, it seems that ultimatel=
> the term "operating system" will never be allowed to apply to anything
> that has anything at all to do with the Linux kernel, period.
>=20
>   1. The kernel isn't an OS (I happen to agree with this one).  It's ju=
st
>   a kernel, and it takes more than a kernel to make an OS.
>=20
>   2. The distro isn't an OS (I happen to disagree with this one).  It's=

>   just a distribution, which, um, differs from an OS in that it, um,
>   isn't an OS.
>=20
>   3. What the heck *is* an OS?
>=20

If you want a fast read:=20
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operating_system#Definition_of_an_Operating_=
System_.28OS.29
But there is a lot more info in Tanenbaum books, Staling books, or=20
Silverschatz books, the three of them named "operating systems".
Rule of the thumb... If you find  an easy application who runs in one=20
"Distribution" and it doesnt run in another one, then you can be pretty=20
sure those are not the same OS. =3D)