Date:      Sun, 22 Apr 2001 13:49:21 -0400
From:      Don Tyson <donald@stanfordalumni.org>
To:        "Brad Froehle" <bradley_f@hotmail.com>
Cc:        "Don Tyson" <donald@stanfordalumni.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, tyson@alumni.stanford.org
Subject:   Re: show stopper (using wrong driver)

> > It's a D-Link 530TX+ which uses the rl driver which requires the
> > miibus.  I use the rl driver b/c that's what it was identified as
>
> I have the D-Link 530TX+ and it has worked fine in the past w/ the miibus
> driver..... (i don't have a FreeBSD system up right now to check)
> You need to use the Via-Rhine (vr?) driver instead of the rl driver.

Brad --

Thanks.  The problem I and others are having is that kernel
compile fails with an error message apparently involving the
miibus.  (I didn't save my error message but it was *exactly*
what others have reported in the past 24 hours.)

This appears to be independent of what card anyone is using --
although if there is a link I'm interested in knowing more --
because the failure started after the 4.3-RELEASE commit and
unfreeze of the code, which suggests the problem is in the code
somewhere rather than what card or driver we're using.

IIRC the subject of D-Link 530TX-series cards was discussed a
couple of months ago, and the Via-Rhine driver goes with the
plain D-Link 530TX card, not the D-Link 530TX+ (note the "+" on
the end) - but I may be misremembering.

If I'm missing a link here -- obvious or not -- please set me
straight.  Thanks.

Don Tyson