Date:      Thu, 4 Feb 1999 11:24:59 -0000
From:      paul@originative.co.uk
To:        marcel@scc.nl, mike@smith.net.au
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Linux collections (was: Linux devel doesn't work with glibc l ibs)

I think that's a foolish road to go down. You should use actual Linux
binaries installed under /compat/linux and make sure the kernel emulation
support is good enough to run any arbitrary linux binary.

For phase 1 the goal should be to be able to install a real Linux dist under
/compat/linux and have it work as though it was a Linux box. That will
stress the emulation environment and make it much more likely that we've got
it tuned to the point that we can run most if not all Linux binaries. Since
the whole point of this (at least the biggest push anyway) is to support
commercial Linux apps we need to ensure that the emulation is complete since
we've no control over these third party apps.

If you want you can have a phase 2 that tries to remove the need to install
a Linux dist and use FreeBSD binaries in an emulation mode but that's more
difficult than you think and really is not worth even trying until you've
got a reference platform based on running an actual Linux dist.

Paul.