Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2012 00:45:22 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Gerald Pfeifer <gerald@pfeifer.com>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Chris Rees <crees@FreeBSD.org>, Heino Tiedemann <rotkaps_spam_trap@gmx.de>, rotkap@gmx.de, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: firefox 13.0,1 needs lang/gcc46 -- to RUN?!

On Sat, 9 Jun 2012, Doug Barton wrote:
> In an ideal world, we would have separate packages for the runtime libs
> and the build tools so that packages could be more portable, but I would
> imagine that would be a lot of work.

I looked into that last year and found that the FreeBSD ports
infrastructure was not exactly helpful.  Ideally I would want
something like gcc46-runtime and gcc46-java and gcc46 itself,
where -runtime is a hard dependency for gcc46 and -java optional.

Short of building lang/gcc46 a couple of times via slave ports and
packaging different aspects by virtue of different slave ports, or
having gcc46 also include the contents of gcc46-runtime, the introduction
of a gcc46-DONT-USE-JUST-USED-FOR-SUBPACKAGES dummy port was the only
idea I came up with.  None of the three approaches really convinced me.

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> Yes that would be a lot of but it is the way we are doing. the upcoming
> stagedir will open the door to easy package splitting and then allow
> easily to split gcc into something like gcc-libs and gcc package or
> something like that.

Lovely.  Looking forward to that!

(Chris also indicated he had an idea, let's see.  Whatever works. ;-)

Gerald