Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 2001 22:06:07 +0100
From:      Hahn0man@t-online.de
To:        "David Anderson" <DRCAnderson@xtra.co.nz>, <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Failed bin install using CD *and* Floppies 4.2

Hi David,

Iīm just a FreeBSD-newbie an tried to install it myself this weekend. Your
failure

> I click ok then get ......"Unable to transfer the bin
> distribution from acd0c."

occured when I tried to boot 4.2 from my CD-ROM (Hitachi CDR-8130; old 16x),
everytime in different binīs, docīs etc. and ALWAYS. Near to a heart-attack,
I downloaded the .ISO four times, the normal dist-files, checked the
distribution (Yes, it took me approximately 2,5 hours to detect that
ckdist.exe under DOS could not find a file named xyz.mtree because the
DOS-name is xyz~1.mtr), tried different media (recordable, rewritable,
650MB, 700MB) ... always the same! But suddenly I forgot to change the burnt
CD and booted from my Philips 2x2x6x burner: NO errors!!! Perhaps
a) the CD-Rom is to fast (there is somewhere a hint not to use more then
24x),
b) the burnt CD is not readable outside the burner,
c) Bill Gatesī revenge.

Hope this will help you
Thorsten