Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2001 22:08:12 +0100
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: GPL nonsense: time to stop

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 11:43:18AM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed stood up and spoke:

> Just because BSD code is available doesn't mean it has to be available.
> (Notice that the license allows for redistribution in binary forms without
> source.)

Exactly it doesn't *have* to be available right now, but it is. A
dual-licensed kernel would require that - at least the "official" version of
the code - be available, which will probably always be the case, unless we
close down our CVS / CVSup and FTP servers, which doesn't seem to be
something we are planning to do.

> But what if I use the BSD code and integrate it with my own code and I
> don't want to make the code for the resulting project available?

In that case, you'd have to use the FreeBSD code *without* any GPLed
portions in there. That way, your additions and binaries do not have to be
available, as removing all GPL code in your work should also terminate the
dual license.

In the above example, a problem would only arise if some GPLed piece of
code actually provided important core functionality, so that you could not
easily do without it...

Greetings
Nils

--
Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany