Date:      Tue, 31 Jan 2012 19:43:20 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Da Rock <freebsd-emulation@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Fwd: LTS linux for ports - ideas?

Oops, I forgot to keep emulation in CC...

----- Weitergeleitete Nachricht von Alexander Leidinger
<Alexander@Leidinger.net> -----
   Datum: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 19:41:10 +0100
     Von: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Betreff: Re: LTS linux for ports - ideas?
      An: Da Rock <freebsd-emulation@herveybayaustralia.com.au>

Quoting Da Rock <freebsd-emulation@herveybayaustralia.com.au> (from
Tue, 31 Jan 2012 20:43:49 +1000):

> What is the consensus on the LTS linux distro to update the fedora
> 10 ports? Or at all?

There is no consensus, as there was no discussion.

If you want to discuss it here, I put up the following hard requirements:
  - one which works with the linuxulator in 8/9 (no inotify, no epoll,
    something else?)... no idea which one fits here, so be tested
    (make a linux installation, copy the data to a FreeBSD system,
    chroot into this directory, and run as much programs as possible)
  - one which is known to be supported for a long time

My personal suggestion is one which is RPM based, to be able to use
the existing linuxulator-ports-framework. Basically this means
probably CentOS, but I do not know another one. :)

If someone wants to take a debian or whatever based distro, that's OK
too, but in this case the person discards some years of development
work of the existing framework (it's maybe not perfect, but it was
created during a lot of man-weeks) and is forced to re-learn
everything from scratch. He should also discuss design-decissions here
and be prepared for a steep learning curve.

The one who does the work is in command. I will not object to
something which works and provides a similar seamless (or better)
integration into FreeBSD to what Boris and I did with the current ports.

> I know Alexander has a page on howto do a linux-base port
> (theoretically)- hence the query...

It's not only the work for a linux_base port, the infrastructure ports
have to be updated at the same time:
http://www.leidinger.net/blog/2011/08/29/howto-create-a-new-linux_base-port/
http://www.leidinger.net/blog/2011/09/01/howto-add-linux-infrastructure-ports-for-a-new-linux_base-port/

Bye,
Alexander.

--
There's one consolation about matrimony.  When you look around you can
always see somebody who did worse.

Pause for storage relocation.