Date:      Wed, 22 May 2002 09:24:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Miller <dmiller@sparks.net>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely5.cicely.de>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More RAID/disklabel woes

On Wed, 22 May 2002, Bruce Evans wrote:

> On Tue, 21 May 2002, Bernd Walter wrote:
> > > ... but it just doesn't want to disklabel:
> > >
> > > avalanche:dmiller# disklabel -w -r da0 auto
> > > disklabel: /dev/da0c: Undefined error: 0
> > > avalanche:dmiller# disklabel -w -r da1 auto
> > > disklabel: No space left on device
> >
> > Of course it won't.
>
> Of course it should.
>
> > First you need to disklabel da0s1 and da1s1 because you have
> > created a slice fdisk partition table.
>
> No; disklabel(8) converts da0 to /dev/da0c and /dev/da0c is an alias
> for the first FreeBSD slice which is /dev/da0s1 in this case.  Similarly
> for da0s1.

I have three drives there; da0 is a RAID on the asr controller, da1 and
da2 are individual drives.  All three were giving me errors.  For reasons
I can't explain, da2e (not da2s1e) eventually "took" a disklabel -w -r da2
auto.  The other two never did.

Using disklabel daXs1 from the command line worked in all cases.  Using
the menu driven fdisk/disklabel from /stand/sysinstall didn't work at
all, despite reboots between the fdisk and disklabel.  I've no idea why
this didn't work, and didn't get any useful error messages from
sysinstall.

> Perhaps a process is holding (some minor on) /dev/daN open.  The fdisk
> changes don't take effect until after all the minors are closed and one
> is reopened.  The error messages are consistent with this.  They should
> say something about the device being too small to contain a label, most
> likely because it is empty (empty primary DOS partitions give empty
> devices, although this is probably wrong).

I don't believe this was the case.  I would boot from a cold system, fdisk
-I and disklabel -w -r ..... and get the errors.  I even tried booting
after the fdisk.  I don't recall for sure, but expect I even tried it in
single user mode.

> > And you might to wipe out the first blocks of a slice to create
> > a virgin disklabel.  E.g. dd if=/dev/zero bs=64k count=10 of=/dev/da1s1
>
> A garbage label in da0c would probably cause different error messages.
> Only completely garbage labels could describe a device too small to
> contain themself.

I thought it unlikely, but not a bad thing to try.  The drives had all
been low level formatted before starting the exercise.  Using daXs1
worked, so I didn't need to try it.

Thanks! for all the help.  You guys are great:)

--- David