Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 2014 15:43:25 -0800
From:      Justin Hibbits <jrh29@alumni.cwru.edu>
To:        Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: The default driver/mode used for PowerMac G5 Radeon 9800PRO's messes up all normal text display by default...

Just catching this.  The radeon.ko driver is barely functional for
PowerPC.  I recommend removing it before trying again (we should just
disable it, since it's useless right now, and instead put effort into
getting the radeonkms working).

- Justin

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 7:26 PM, Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net> wrote:
> Hmm. I see that I managed to not mention that this context is/has xfce4's=
 desktop and standard/included programs involved, along with just xscreensa=
ver having been added. (It is from a preliminary stage of installing things=
 before more might be added.)

> =3D=3D=3D
> Mark Millard
> markmi@dsl-only.net
>
> On Jul 20, 2014, at 7:07 PM, Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net> wrote:
>
> [Context: Xorg -configure generated xorg.conf file for a G5 (7,2), except=
 for explicit alternatives noted for noAccel and SubPixelOrder. Also this i=
s the same SSD used for booting NVidia based PowerMac G5's (7,11's) that ha=
ve no such problems for the distinct Xorg -configure file generated for the=
m. uname -a reports for this SSD:

> FreeBSD FBSDG5S0 10.0-STABLE FreeBSD 10.0-STABLE #0 r268571: Sun Jul 13 0=
6:28:19 UTC 2014     root@grind.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/powerpc.powerpc64/usr/=
src/sys/GENERIC64  powerpc

> (just freshly installed a day or so ago) and the "portsnap fetch extract"=
 was executed earlier today.
> ]
>
> The "user experience" report for what I've observed:
>
> The PowerPC64 "ATI Radeon 9800PRO NH (AGP)" driver used in a PowerMac G5 =
(7,2) messes up *all* normal text display unless Option "NoAccel" is enable=
d: menu text, window titles, input fields, label text, all such text. (Basi=
c desktop display, simple dialogs and windows from programs, nothing fancy =
involved.) When the problem exists in my context the xorg.conf is strictly =
as generated by Xorg -configure when in this type of PowerMac.

> The other normal graphics seem fine: only text is messed up for these bas=
ic displays. But the compositing results are messed up if they are turned o=
ne to try to provide a visual difference around/near windows.

> With "NoAccel" disabled (acceleration on) so the text problem happens NON=
E and BGR for SubPixelOrder are messed up the same way and RGB SubPixelOrde=
r changes how it looks but the result is still just messed up text. This is=
 on an Apple ADC FlatPanel. (An Apple ADC CRT also gets the issue.) Some in=
ternal interface to accelerated text handling does not map things in memory=
 as required as far as I can tell. (But I've only explored SubpixelOrder an=
d NoAccel changes so far. I've not tried to make compositing work: I just t=
urned it back off.)

> I did find one part of one example display that is simple to describe, po=
ssibly due to font size details for my context and my text size settings: T=
he "Logout Charlie Root" text in the logout dialog had vertical strips miss=
ing (i.e., just the background color showing) from the middle or sides of l=
etters but enough of each letter was present to be able to tell what each l=
etter was. The strips might also have had some small amount of extra space =
compared to pure what "white-out" would be (?unsure!). Also with the logout=
 dialog up the whole display got a significant red tint.

> All of this may suggest byte/bit order handling issues for the text when =
acceleration is enabled. Or possibly the 24 bits of color information in a =
32 bit representation being mishandled relative to acceleration interfaces =
for handling such.

> Unfortunately I'm only around the PowerMac's for a couple of days again b=
efore being far from them for a considerable time. So for now there are lim=
its to what I can do to help isolate things --nor will I be able to provide=
 the test case of that G5 until I'm back round them again. But I figured an=
 explicit note was better then saying nothing.