Date:      Fri, 27 Feb 1998 22:50:40 +0100
From:      Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Lars Jonas Olsson <ljo@mcs.net>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: KDE port comments

On 1998-02-26 08:22 -0600, Lars Jonas Olsson <ljo@mcs.net> wrote:
> I've been testing the KDE port and found these problems:

Thanks for your comments!

> 1. Requires kernel with SYSVMSG. Withot this kdehelp was core dumping.

Never noticed this, since my kernel contains that option.
There should be some kind of warning, if no SysV message
support is available, not a core dump. You may want to
open a KDE defect (lack of error checking).

> 2. Screen saver unlocking doesn't work. (System has no DES installed).

Because of the shadow password support in FreeBSD, the
screen lock program can't get at your encrypted password
unless it is running as root. I'm do not want this program
to be SUID root.

You may want to move your encrypted password to /etc/passwd,
if you don't mind it being readable to everybody, there.

> 3. It required a /usr/bin/X11 link. This seems to be in xdm/kdm.

I have not yet tested kdm. Will do so when I've got all
the Beta3 parts into the ports tree.

> 4. It wasn't obviuos how to start it. There are no kde man pages,
>    though kdehelp is good after you find it and get it working.

Yes, this is a problem with KDE, indeed. They use only their
help files for documentation purposes. We should at least have
a kde(1) man page to get people started.
Anybody going to write one ?

>    I found the kdescript and made a .xsession out of it. Perhaps
>    kde should install new /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm files so that each
>    user doesn't need to do this? Or perhaps kdmcontrol should do this?

Not sure about this. KDE is still Beta, and I do not think it
is suitable for a "naive" user.

Regards, STefan