Date:      Mon, 24 May 2010 14:16:22 -0400
From:      Jung-uk Kim <jkim@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Geoffrey Ferrari <geoffrey.ferrari@googlemail.com>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Suspend/Resume problem on Thinkpad X201 (8-STABLE)

On Monday 24 May 2010 01:05 pm, Scott Lambert wrote:
> On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 06:20:15PM +0100, Geoffrey Ferrari wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I've just bought a Lenovo Thinkpad X201 which I plan to use as my
> > main work machine (mainly, all I need is emacs + latex) I've a
> > little past experience with FreeBSD (and Linux), but this is the
> > first time I've committed to trying to use FreeBSD for my main
> > work computer. I
>
> <SNIP>
>
> > Now for my request for help :) My Thinkpad successfully enters
> > sleep mode (that's ACPI level S3 - suspend to ram), but there are
> > problems with resuming out of sleep mode. The main problem is
> > that the LCD does not wake up upon resume, and simply stays
> > black. The computer is actually awake when this happens though! I
> > can e.g. logout (typing blindly) and I can even log in via ssh.
> > However, the screen stays switched off. I read on some forums
> > that some people have experienced a similar problem where their
> > screen switches on but displays nothing, only a black background.
> > But no, my screen doesn't even switch on!
> >
> > I've searched numerous forums and tried various things, but none
> > of them resolve the problem and some make it worse! Here's a
> > sample of what I've tried so far.
> >
> > Setting hw.acpi.video_reset=1 to loader.conf. This makes things
> > worse. When I do this, my laptop refuses to wake from sleep at
> > all. Loading the i915 driver in loader.conf. This seems to do
> > nothing. Loading acpi_ibm in loader.conf. This seems to do
> > nothing. Setting debug.acpi.disabled="YES" in sysctl.conf . This
> > seems to do nothing.
> >
> > I've also tried switching from one virtual console to another,
> > both via the keyboard, and by running "vidcontrol -s 2 >
> > /dev/console".
> >
> > I've checked /var/log/messages after resume and it reports
> > "Interrupt storm detected on irq9" - that's seems to be
> > associated with ACPI.
> >
> > So, I'm writing to ask if anyone can help me to get my laptop to
> > resume properly. I'm including some info below that my help
> > someone to understand what's going on. I really love FreeBSD so I
> > hope someone will be able to help me to get my laptop to sleep
> > and wake reliably!
>
> Are you in X when you sleep?  Have you tried after switching to
> ttyv0 first?  CTRL-ALT-F1 from X.
>
> I have this in my rc.suspend, right after the creation of the
> /var/run/rc.suspend.pid file.
>
> /usr/sbin/vidcontrol -s 1 < /dev/ttyv0

--- >8 --- SNIP!!! --- >8 ---

Actually it may not be necessary because syscons is automagically
switched to 0 unless you set SC_NO_SUSPEND_VTYSWITCH in kernel
configuration or 'hw.syscons.sc_no_suspend_vtswitch' tunable.  Also,
'hw.acpi.video_reset' tunable is not recommended.  If you want
something similar, you should load vesa (maybe dpms as well) and it
should be able to handle video reset more gracefully.

FYI, talking about syscons, I committed another patch few days ago:

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?201005220735.o4M7ZHwk086790

Please test the patch if possible.

Jung-uk Kim