Date:      Mon, 18 Jun 2007 23:00:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "John Williams" <john.williams@seawindow.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Apparent IP configuration change . . .

FreeBSD users:

Until recently I've been running a very low-maintenance FreeBSD router
with FBSD 6.2.

The IP setup was a dynamic IP configuration with Verizon as my DSL
provider in NJ. The connection was virtually trouble-free.

I switched to a static IP about 10 days ago and the IP configuration no
longer works.

The modem for both IP configurations is a Westell 6100 modem running a
Bridge protocol for both connections.

When I plug the modem directly into the FreeBSD box or a Windows box and
let the modem act as a router, the connection comes up with no problem.

But when I configure the modem to act as a transparent bridge connection
so the FreeBSD box can function as the router, the network connection is
unavailable even though the PPP connection is up (according to the modem
interface).

I'm thinking that there has been a change on the provider end because of
the conversion to a static IP, but I can't figure out how to set up the
PPP connection in the the ppp.conf file.

Here's what worked for the dynamic IP connection:

verizon:
  set device PPPoE:rl0
  set authname xxx
  set authkey xxx
  add default HISADDR

Here's what I've set up for the static IP connection:

verizon:
  set device PPPoE:rl0
  set authname xxx
  set authkey xxx
  add default HISADDR
  set ifaddr 70.0.0.54 70.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 0.0.0.0

The rc.conf file is standard for setting up a PPP connection.

Is a different setup required to configure a static IP to work with FreeBSD?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
--
John Williams