Date:      Mon, 26 Oct 1998 23:46:29 +0200 (EET)
From:      Vladimir Kushnir <kushn@mail.kar.net>
To:        Dmitry Samersoff <dms@wplus.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gcc 2.8.1 on FreeBSD 3.0

On Mon, 26 Oct 1998, Dmitry Samersoff wrote:

> Is there a way to run gcc 2.8.1 on FreeBSD 3.0
>
> (Al my attempts are broken on
>
> /usr/libexec/elf/ld: cannot open crt0.o: No such file or directory
>
> when I try to build gcc 2.8.1 it self
> and
>
> /usr/lib/aout/crt0.o: file not recognized: File format not recognized
>
> when I try build my project using gcc compiled on 2.2.5
> )

You can compile it manually,
./configure --host=i386-unknown-freebsdelf3.0; make
				      ~~~~
When compiled for i386-unknown-freebsd host, it thinks it's still a.out
and tries to link with a.out crt0.o. Actually, I don't know if C++ part
works, but as a C compiler it does produce much faster code (at least, I
tried one of the latest snapshots, not release).

> Thank you!

You're welcome,
Vladimir