Date:      Mon, 29 May 2000 22:10:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:      BWS - Offwhite <brennan@offwhite.net>
To:        EmailWeb@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Error

I once hosed a box of mine when I first started as a sys admin for two
identical FreeBSD boxes.  I was running as root and wanted to go to my
regular user directory and change the ownership to my plain user.  Here is
the command I used...

cd /home/brennan
find / -exec chown brennan:users {} \;
     ^

As you see, it should have been...

find . -exec chown brennan:users {} \;
     ^

(rookie error)

It was a stupid mistake and this find took a very long time to run.  I
thought someone was hacking the box.  Once I figured out the problem I
tooke a snapshot of the twin box and ran a perl script that I wrote to
compare permissions on each file and restore them back to the original
settings.

If you have a cdrom from Walnut Creek, you can use the live filesystem
disk as an example and compare the key files and directories to determine
if they look right to you.  If you need to correct them, go from there.

Good Luck!

Brennan Stehling - web developer and sys admin
projects: www.greasydaemon.com | www.onmilwaukee.com | www.sncalumni.com

Microsoft: Will you get a macro virus today?
http://www.greasydaemon.com/noms/ <- Why avoid MS?