Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 1995 12:46:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        jhay@mikom.csir.co.za, terry@lambert.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPX now available

> We want a registration mechanism for LLC's, another for protocol
> families, etc..

I agree, but there are getting to be too many registration mechaninsms
we need to stand back..
take a deep breath, and think about which registration mechanisms are
needed, and what we can do to make thismore standard and generic.

at the moment we have:
a linker_set for networking protocol domains (DOMAIN_SET)
a linker set for arbitrary modules (SYSINIT)
a registration protocol for SCSI devices (not a linker set but could be)
a registration for devices (syscontrol stuff)
a registration for devices (devfs stuff)
(I guess we should have a registration for devices and interrupts/dma)
a linker set for filesystems
a linker set for net ISRs
a linker set for PCI support
a linker set for exec modules
a way to add a new devsw entry for yourself

what have I missed?

I guess I'm addressing this to a wider audience..
what do we want to have here?

for a first shot:
-------------
device drivers need to:
be configured as to where to probe..
	(presently config, but what about lkm'd drivers?)
be able to grab an interrupt (possibly probe for it) and assign
a mask for it.. this needs to become dynamic.. I think Bruce is
the only guy for this..

be able to set it's status into the sysconfig stuff.
	presently code added to each driver

be able to add a devsw entry for itself (till we get rid of devsw)
	presently static (conf.c) (yuk) except
	for a few TFS exceptions, and LKMs

be able to add a devfs entry for itself
	presently MAKEDEV

(power management? PCI? PCCARD?)
	??????

be able to undo all the above..
	not really

------------
protocols need to be able to:
install themselves into the lowest level (netisr queues)
	presently a linker set (ok)... LKMS (?)

and get drivers to know when to use them.
	presently totally static.. code added for each protocol to each
	transport type

install themselves at the top level so sockets can use them
	this is presently a linker set (ok)

garret? terry? david (when he has time)? phk?

julian

|   __--_|\  Julian Elischer       |       \     U \/ / On assignment
|  /       \ julian@ref.tfs.com    +------>x   USA    \ in a very strange
| (   OZ    ) 300 lakeside Dr. oakland CA. \___   ___ | country !
+- X_.---._/  USA+(510) 645-3137(wk)           \_/   \\