Date:      Sun, 28 Aug 2005 10:48:12 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Pavel =?iso-8859-2?Q?Jord=E1k?= <pavel.jordak@siemens.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        derrill@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: First time gateway/router

On 26 Srpen 2005, 17:24, Jason Morgan napsal(a):
> On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 08:03:48AM -0700, Derrill Guilbert wrote:
>> Is there a walkthrough or something online to teach me how to make a
>> freebsd box into a gateway/firewall? I've not ever run a FreeBSD box
>> that wasn't already behind some other kind of firewall, and don't want
>> to screw it up.
>>

> The Handbook is your friend :)
>
> Gateway:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-routing.html
>
> Firewalls (I use IPFW, but I hear PF rocks):
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/firewalls.html

Hi, friends, my personally experience:

I don't think, IPFW is bad - it is very good, mature, strong..., but:

I really enjoyed, when the OpenBSD's PF has been integrated into 5.x. I
find the PF much simplier for a newbie (like I was too the time, I tried
to configure my first firewall on FreeBSD - done with IPFW on 4.x, since
then all others with PF on 5.x ;-)

The OpenBSD PF documentation at http://openbsd.org/faq/pf/index.html is
excellent, gives advices and examplas and fits for FreeBSD as well.

Pavel Jordak
ANF DATA, Prague.