Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2001 13:35:13 +1100
From:      Chris Aitken <chris@ideal.net.au>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   AC97 Sound Distortion

Hi,

I have come across a problem which seems to be bugging me and I havent been
able to source a solution.

I am currently running FreeBSD4.4 installed from the ISO CD, and it has the
version of X installed that was included on the CD.

I have a Gigabyte motherboard with onboard AC97 sound, and when I compile
the kernel with the pcm0 device, it works just fine. I can go into X, use
xmms, licq and anything else with sound, but what ive noticed is that there
is some distortion on any of the audio played.

Its most noticable on sharp sounds like in the LICQ sounds, and things like
that. I even transferred the Message.wav file from LICQ onto a wintendo box
and opened it with an editor and checked to see if the file had distortion
on it and it was clean....

I tried to compile the kernel with the actual soundblaster lines in place,
but it kept dying on the compile at the midi section.

Has anyone else come across this problem, and if so do you have any
suggestions on how I can get clean sounds coming out of the box.

Thanks

Chris

--
     Chris Aitken - Administration/Database Designer - IDEAL Internet
  email: chris@ideal.net.au  phone: +61 2 4628 8888  fax: +61 2 4628 8890