Date:      Wed, 09 May 2001 23:36:01 +0200
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>
To:        JL <jl@burghcom.com>
Cc:        cornwall@intelos.net, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   LRe: Oracle,

JL wrote:

> If you want a reliable and stable SQL server, MySQL runs without linux emu
> and fits that bill. My FreeBSD server is the official MySQL development
> server for FreeBSD (It's nice having MySQL developers who are also admins on
> my production box).

Not that this is the right list for this, but.

For production usage you cannot compare Oracle with MySQL. There are
alternatives to Oracle, even free ones like Interbase (or Firebird as
it's now called but which doesn't install :() and possibly PostgreSQL.

Those have transaction control (both by way of a versioning engine) and
several more goodies which are needed in a production environment. Like
stored procedures and triggers.

They come close to Oracle. Especially Interbase/Firebird due to it
being plain SQL instead of OO SQL. Yet even they lack several of the
tuning needed for truly large production systems (terabytes and such).

MySQL is a very good DBMS for what it does. But it has severe limits.

Roelof