Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 1996 20:47:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dmitry Kohmanyuk <dk@dog.farm.org>
To:        mark@grondar.za (Mark Murray)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/rc* stuff

In article <199610241748.TAA13931@grumble.grondar.za> you wrote:
> I wrote that rndcontrol(8) program, so I'll fix it. It is a little too
> chatty by default. That will fix the extra `echo "."'

the main problem with rndcontrol (or, rather, with its usage - the program
itself is very straightforward) is that every time I add or change my PCI
cards I have to track IRQs.  Hmm, maybe a little awk wrapper around vmstat -i
output would help?? (yes, I know this is a kludge);

rand_devices="psm0 ed0 zzz"

for dev in ${rand_devices}; do
        echo "checking irq for device $dev"
        vmstat -i | awk '$1 == dev { print $2 }' dev=$dev | sed 's/irq//; s/^/rndcontrol -s /' | sh
done

> Bill Paul wrote:
> > Just a couple of small nits:
> >
> > - At the very end of /etc/rc.i386, we have this:
> >
> > [begin snippage]
> > echo '.'
> >
> > # interrupts for /dev/random device
> > if [ "X${rand_irqs}" != X"NO" ] ; then
> >         echo -n 'entropy source: '
> >         rndcontrol ${rand_irqs}
> > fi
> >
> > echo '.' # probably bogus
> > [end snippage]
[...]

--
Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out of it alive.