Date:      Mon, 1 Dec 1997 20:54:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        toor@dyson.iquest.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FYI: usage of new AIO calls

Terry Lambert said:
> > For fun (and actually as a result of a comment by Justin Gibbs), I have put
> > together a small program that could maybe be used for streaming tape drives
> > using the new AIO code.  Note that if you try this, it must be used only
> > on current kernels on/after 19:00 GMT, Dec 1.
>
> [ ... ]
>
> > errval = aio_suspend(&olist[i], 1, NULL);
> > errval = aio_error(olist[i]);
> > rtval = aio_return(olist[i]);
> > errval = aio_write(olist[i]);
> > nread = read( fd1, bufaddrs[i], BUFSZ);
>
> Some questions...
>
> 1)	Why did you 'read' instead of 'aio_read'?

Because that is what I chose to use in my example.  aio_read works also.

> 2)	Why did you define your own interface instead of using the
> 	SunOS/Solaris/SVR4/SCO interface:

Did I write POSIX IEEE Std 1003.1b-1993?  You give me alot of credit, because
the functions that I implemented came from there.  (refer to pages 151
through 168 of the standards document.)  The stuff is also the same as the
equivalents in The Open Group X/Open Spec.  I really don't think that I
invented those interfaces also.

--
John
dyson@freebsd.org