Date:      Mon, 3 Nov 1997 23:19:29 GMT
From:      Michael Ryan <mike@NetworX.ie>
To:        Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@woozle.rinet.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Getting info from a crashed disk

Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:

> I had an IDE disk on my machine (Quantum FB 1080A, rather old). Some days
> ago i type "pine" and got message complaining about reading my mailbox.
> Moment look at the console got unrecoverable read error message.
> Digging into a problem i found directories /var/mail and /usr/home
> (yeah! :((() unreadable. System was 2.2.2-R.

Are you aware of anything that you did wrong?  I ask because I'm very
careful about shutting the system down cleanly (it's FBSD 2.2.2R also).
Last week, when I tried to cold-boot the machine one morning, it failed
because the root filesystem was corrupt,  I'm not aware of anything I
did that was wrong.  I shut the machine down by typing "halt" and
waiting for the "Press any key to reboot" message to appear on the console
before switching off power.  Might this be a bug lurking in the depths
of the 2.2.2 kernel?

Bye,
Mike
<mike@NetworX.ie>