Date:      Tue, 15 Apr 1997 22:14:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@obiwan.aceonline.com.au>
Cc:        Hinrich Eilts <eilts@tor.muc.de>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Etherexpress 10/pro

On Mon, 14 Apr 1997, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> > > If PnP of Etherexpress is disabled, it work, but the computer have to run
> > > W95 too, and this will fail with PnP disabled (the motherboard is a
> > > Gigabyte GA586ATM/P256, which has no support for non-PnP ISA cards leading
> > > to resource conflicts if the Etherexpress is in non-PnP mode).
> >
> > THen you have a bigger problem than FreeBSD can support :)
>
> Huh?
>
> That isn't true. :)

OK, that's right, but under Win95 you'll have to hardwire the driver to
the settings you've specified.

> You can specify Windows 95 to *use* a certain setting instead of letting
> Windows (/PnP) decide everything.

I was saying, if it blows up in both modes then you have real problems.
Note that FreeBSD can't do PnP so if you can't get it to run in non-PnP
mode consider pulling some devices.

> I do this in my PC. I have non-PnP ISA Soundblaster Pro and 3com 3c509,
> and a PnP SB32. I just went into my BIOS, disabled the particular IRQs the
> non-PnP cards were set to, and *told* win95 to use certain settings for my
> PnP SB32 card. It complains saying it can no longer figure things out, but
> then, it doesn't do a crash hot job in the first place.
>
> (For a laugh, try autodetecting a non-PnP NE2000 clone and see how many
> times Win95 gets the IRQ right :)

It doesn't even detect the card.  I've done this 20 times.  It even gets
the PnP ones wrong!

> I think people trust PnP too much.

I think it's a joke.  Down with MS hardware specs.

IN any case, the pro/10's probably aren't supported.  The EtherExpress
16's, it's predecessor, are.