Date:      Fri, 17 Jan 2003 00:27:54 -0600
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD firewall for high profile hosts - waste of time ?

--=-=-=

At 2003-01-16T18:52:00Z, Josh Brooks <user@mail.econolodgetulsa.com> writes:

> If I have a large network with high profile hosts (50+ shell servers, 50
> or more different ircds running) am I wasting my time trying to hack and
> tweak a FreeBSD host-based firewall running ipfw ?

Out of curiosity, have you tried FreeBSD + ipfilter (or even OpenBSD + pf,
for that matter)?  I've really come to appreciate ipfilter's syntax and
flexibility, and it's statefulness always seemed to work better than IPFW's
for me for some odd reason.

Note that I mentioned statefulness.  You should really, really investigate
the potential useful of a stateful firewall.  The massive win there is that
once a connection is accepted, it gets added to a known-good list which is
searched before incoming packets get sent through the filter list, and
usually much more quickly.  In other words, each "accept" rule will only get
processed once *per connection*, rather than once *per packet*.

Finally, I'm not sure of the lastest hardware recommendations, but I'd put
the absolute best NICs in that machine that I could afford.  Anyone know
what the current king of the FreeBSD hill is?
=2D-=20
Kirk Strauser
In Googlis non est, ergo non est.

--=-=-=