Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 1996 13:13:22 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Cc:        phk@critter.tfs.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeDetect & Plug n Play

> Ok, but do the slot-disabling motherboards (BTW, do you have
> references to some ?) also take care of remapping IO, memory and
> DMA addresses ? Because it should be "plug and play", not "plug
> and don't break things".

Look at any PCMCIA system.  There are six flavors of "enpic"'s for
PCMCIA which do exactly this.  Plus per "slot" power management.

There are also several ISA motherboards that *only* obey the card
disabling interface.  They do so by using reserved PNP board IDs,
one per slot, and only do the enable/disable, no remapping (at
least I have never seen one that actually did remapping).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.