Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 2000 16:57:21 -0500
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Marcin Cieslak <saper@system.pl>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: unversioned shared libraries vs. ldconfig

On Wed, Jun 28, 2000 at 11:38:35PM +0200, Marcin Cieslak wrote:
> One of my ports (graphics/dia) is not using shared library
> versioning (-avoid-version switch to libtool) i.e.
> libraries are installed like that:

A lot of GNOMEish ports do this.. and they'll all fail if you
try to run them from any location other than ${GNOMEBASE}
(aka ${X11BASE}, but its getting to the stage where a
${GNOMEBASE} would be useful..)

I do similar things when testing the building of the port,
generating PLISTs etc.. sticking it in a different place.

When it comes to actually testing the port running, I pretty
much always find that I have to let it build in the normal place.

This is not an ldconfig issue.. but during the configuration/build
process, the locations of various other GNOME/GTK programs get
hardwired into the resulting executable, irrespective of ${PREFIX}

Technically, you could say that the port is not ${PREFIX} safe,
but with things like GNOME and KDE, normal rules don't apply.

> lib/dia/libcgm_filter.so
> lib/dia/libchronogram_objects.so
> [snip]

What you'll find is that in the plugin code related to dia, it's
looking for them in a specific place, rooted from /usr/X11R6,
and so will fail when you try to run it installed anywhere else.

In short, don't worry about it :)

> 1. Is it necessary to add such libraries to the hints file?
>    And, am I supposed to add /usr/local/etc/rc.d/dia.sh file like
>   "modula-3-lib-3.6" port does?

Nope.  It's not an ldconfig issue.

> 2. If so, should I patch Makefiles to create fake ".0"
>    version numbers?

Absolutely not.  For plugins such as this, -avoid-version in
the la_XXX_LDFLAGS is a must, otherwise you'll get useless
static libraries built as well (a number of ports have had
this patched to do the right thing).

> 3. Should ldconfig(1) behaviour be changed?

See (1).

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Austin, TX.			ade@FreeBSD.org