Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 2002 08:45:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Cc:        sam@errno.com
Subject:   Re: CFR: MFC of mtags

In article <196301c291e9$56d25e70$52557f42@errno.com>, Sam Leffler
<sam@errno.com> wrote:
> I want to commit the mbuf packet tag changes to stable.  These
> changes replace the aux mbuf pointer in the mbuf with a list of
> "packet tags".  This does not change the size of the mbuf structure
> but does affect any software that uses them (presently only KAME
> ipsec which has been patched to use packet tags instead).

I would strongly prefer that you not put this into the 4.x branch.
The project has a policy against incompatible ABI changes within the
-stable branch.  If you do this MFC then those of us who rely on
third-party binary-only network drivers (such as the ET Inc. drivers,
upon which I and many others rely for network connectivity) will be
SOL.  Changing the ABI within the branch is unfair to the vendors who
try to maintain drivers for FreeBSD, and it only discourages them from
trying to support our operating system.  Let's just let the 4.x branch
live out the rest of its life span in a compatible way.

John
--
  John Polstra