Date:      Mon, 9 Mar 1998 22:07:14 -0600 (CST)
From:      Font <font@Mcs.Net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to setup NIS slave server?

I have done this once before, but lost Atipa's original post.  Through
Doug White's magic, though, I can make a decent reply.

A slave server is started up by configuring the rc.conf pretty much as
one configures the master server.  However, the maps on the slave must
be manually transferred over the first time the slave is set up.  I
use a script something like this (soft returns where appropriate):

#!/bin/sh
for i in group.bygid netid.byname protocols.bynumber group.byname
networks.byaddr rpc.byname hosts.byaddr networks.byname rpc.bynumber
hosts.byname passwd.byname services.byname master.passwd.byname
passwd.byuid ypservers master.passwd.byuid protocols.byname
do
    echo $i
    /usr/libexec/ypxfr -d mydomain -h mymaster.dom.com -s mydomain $i
done

This is run on the slave.  Of course, on the master, the ypservers
file in /var/yp should know about the slave server.

Generally, you need an NIS server on each network.  Since NIS clients
bind using broadcasts, they won't cross networks.  Generally a slave
server also has itself as a client.

Credit for all of my words really goes to Bill Paul, who sent me an
informative message when I was starting out with NIS.  Now I return
the favor to everyone else.  :-)

A bug in my MUA causes news.announce.newusers                            font
to be sent to beneficiaries and senders of UCE/SPAM.                        @
                                                                      mcs.net
Wishes are like dishes.